Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A few new hobbies

Every now and again, I get into a routine with life and unfortunately efficiency wins over balance. So naturally I feel the need to add creative outlets to weigh out the work. So I picked up a few hobbies, some new, some thrown by the wayside.

A couple of months ago I sewed a patchwork quilt (an old hobby) but I'm not quite finished because I'm priding myself on a $0 cost so far. I'm scouring the thrift stores for cheap batting, or an old or free twin blanket, to be used as batting and then....voila! A quilt will have been made with absolutely no money. I used free material I had on hand, some sheets and an old aloha shirt of Jeff's. I'll post pics when it's finished.

A few months ago, I listened to a book on CD called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and it inspired me to finally start my first vegetable garden. I've always wanted one, but we've never lived in a place for over a year, so I didn't want to commit to anything before. But we've broken the 2 year mark in our house now and so I thought, why not? So I began my project by attempting to recruit Jeff on board. Jeff is not easily recruit-able, and my questions and nagging did not help. He finally helped me gather up some free wood that we had and before he left to work he told me with full confidence that I could do it.

So I thought and thought and thought on where to begin. I knew I wanted a raised garden, but I didn't know how to make a frame or how to stake it in the ground. I had already chosen the sunniest spot on our yard, which happens to be in our front yard by the road. We live in the sticks, so curb appeal doesn't apply here. I was determined to build this garden right, and thankfully I found a step by step blog on exactly what I was doing. I measured, cut, screwed, leveled, and hammered my very first raised vegetable garden! I was so proud of myself. It isn't pretty by any means, but it was free, which I always say is the best price.

To top it all off, I filled my garden with two big garbage cans full of composted horse manure. A friend of mine, Lori, has horses and was more than willing to share the goods. Joshua and I planted green onions, zucchini, summer squash and sunflowers. So far only the sunflowers have started growing ans we are all so excited to watch our plants grow! 

Lori, happens to also be an old running buddy and she has helped me to consistently add miles to my weekly runs. I've been feeling great and with a little encouragement from her, I have signed up for my first half marathon. It's scheduled in a couple of weeks in Seattle and I feel really good about it. It's early in the morning, so I'll be going solo. I do wish though someday, that Jeff and the kids would be waiting at the finish line to cheer me on. But, for now, common sense and sanity are the names of the game.

Lastly, I tried photography for a single serving hobby. I was playing with my camera and took a few pics of some plants in my front yard.
This one with this bright pink flower emerging is my favorite.
My Mom donated some of this decorative grass for me and I just love how this plant looks. Behind it is a  glimpse of a huge wreath that Jeff made with branches found around the yard.One of Jeff's creative hobbies.

So that about sums up a few old and new hobbies that have helped balance out my life. Thank you Lori for the best nutrients for my plants. Thank you Joshua for your smiles and excitement in our garden. And thank you Jeff, for always believing in me and encouraging me to pursue my hobbies.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Very cool, Vic. I need to get out and start my garden. Let's talk soon. It was so fun hearing your messages.

Joe and Christie said...

Aww, great post! Good luck with your training!!!